Who are we?
ASD Build is a chartered building company based in South Wales & Nottingham.
As a principal contractor we also have experience in cladding remediation work. Our team at ASD consist of registered building and fire engineers who have direct access to external fire consultants who ultimately provide a full construction package to enable the remediation & replacement of external combustible cladding systems in the UK.
Why use ASD?
- £10m Professional Indemnity in place for remediation of combustible cladding and associated works
- Experienced specialist administration service to assist with your building safety fund grant application
- Director involvement throughout the contract
- A dedicated ASD client and resident officer to liaise with homeowners / tenants during the project
- If there are any unexpected issues an ASD Senior Manager will provide clear and productive communication offering solutions
- Fast and effective response times at all stages of the process with a dedicated project manager
- ASD engage with high quality contractors with robust systems in place
- ASD identify and select high quality scaffolders with a compliant scaffolder’s design
- Engagement and ownership of building control legislation, compliance & certifications
- A digital handover system incorporating all test certifications relevant to the remediation of the building & re-cladding works. Full wind analysis drawings, bluetooth pull tests of cladding system, as built drawings and full H&S file for handover to our clients
- ASD Build employs engineers who are registered with the Chartered Association of Building Engineers (CABE) and The Institution of Fire Engineers, who oversee the technical design of the remediation works. ASD Build are not only a chartered registered company with the CIOB but we are also members with the Insulated Render and Cladding Association (INCA) and Federation of Master Builders (FMB)
Pre – construction/remediation works
- Effectively control the full management of the building survey & EWS1 report
- Utilise our high-quality designers and appropriate consultants registered with ASD through our PQQ system
- Preconstruction engagement with the client and any external design team at pre commencement stage
- Formulate a full contractor’s design to enable remediation works, which can take up to 12 weeks. To speed up the overall process ASD will start this process at the preferred bidder stage or a form of engagement pre contract has been secured
- We can act as the principal designer during the design stage implementing construction design management (CDM 2015) or work as principal designer in the construction stage
Cladding remediation & construction works
- Complete removal of dangerous, aluminium composite material (ACM), timber cladding and any other combustible material recognised by the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government from low, medium and high-rise residential buildings
- Agreed full construction program starting at site mobilisation to handover
- Survey and report any building control fabric issues in the correct manner where previous access was restricted. This generally allows us full access to roofing issues which ASD can rectify with a full warranty in place
- Work with the regional fire service to Implement the newly designed fire strategy into the construction works to meet compliance
- Replacement of any M&E combustible materials formulated into the contractor’s design and EWS1 survey
- When uncovering the previous contractor’s work we may need to address some defect issues before replacement works can commence, we utilise our shared reporting system to make sure that our clients have all of the appropriate evidence in place for any warranty claims you pursue.
Current Remediation Projects
Aquila House – Galleon House, Cardiff Bay
This scheme has Welsh Government approval and is the first project in Wales to be awarded funding to replace cladding for social housing. Our client Cardiff Community Housing Association delivers affordable housing and owns these properties.
The two residential buildings in Cardiff Bay are both up to 18 stories high. The work entails the remediation to the building fabric, replacement of an existing timber cladding system and roofing works. As part of the pre-construction works, we delivered the contractor’s design to meet legislation with Non-Combustible Rockwool products plus a James Hardie Cladding System supplied by Encon. The contractor’s design was accepted by the client’s designers and Cardiff Council Building Control. As part of our systematic work the cladding system will go through rigorous pull test analysis delivered and recorded by an ASD certified engineer.
ASD Build is extremely proud to be chosen in a robust tender process overseen by the Welsh Government to deliver this contract. Site mobilisation started in March 2021 with a 12-month D&B contract in place for handover in March 2022.